Exploring Fabius Township and St. Joseph County, Michigan, with side trips all over this Great Lakes state

Friday, December 2, 2011

Once a sundog....

Until I had my camera in hand, there was a sundog in the middle of this cloud fragment.  Yesterday was only the second time I have seen a sundog and the first was also afternoon of a cold day.  I think of them as miniature rainbows, perhaps a better description would be a section of a rainbow.  The sundog, or parhelion, is ice crystals reflecting the sun. 

I recommend these Wikipedia articles: Sundog and Atmospheric Optics.  And for a great novel, please read Jim Harrison's Sundog

3 comments:

  1. Check out "The Cloudspotter's Guide" by Gavin Pretor-Pinney if you're interested in skywatching. Nice clouds even if the dog did run away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever witnessed a sundog. Beautiful sky. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice shot! The weather is quite lousy here! Rain and wind and rain and wind... and grey grey grey!
    Hope I will see a sundog soon!
    Thanks for sharing:o)

    ***
    Happy day****

    ReplyDelete