Exploring Fabius Township and St. Joseph County, Michigan, with side trips all over this Great Lakes state

Friday, October 22, 2010

Ghost forests in the sky

I was filling the bird feeder (the finches are coming in droves these days) when I looked up and saw these clouds.  Immediately I thought of wispy trees.  Now with a popular song of my youth in my head, I am calling them "ghost forests in the sky."  That song was "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and was a hit on the American popular music charts in 1949.  Burl Ives first recorded it, but he was followed by Vaughn Monroe, Bing Crosby, Johnny Cash, even Peggy Lee.  Quite the list!  A fair warning to parents: be careful what you let your seven year old hear -- it may stick with them a very long time!

To listen to the music and learn more visit Ghost Riders in the Skies.  For more information on the song and its creator, visit Wikipedia.  For more skies, visit Skywatch Friday.

5 comments:

  1. I like your new header photo.

    And this sky is great. Those clouds do look like a forest somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghost forest is a very apt description - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combinations of clouds, like this! And I can see the trees of the forest, now that you have pointed them out! Ghost Riders is not that bad a song for children, unless they are going to get bad dreams. Mine loved Blake's The Tyger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, great catch! What a wonderful sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Ghost forests in the sky - I see them! So pretty, aren't they?

    I must clean out the bird feeders and start filling them again. We stopped over summer because they didn't come to feed very often, and when they did, they just kicked seeds out to take root in my pots! But the weather is getting chill, and the goldfinches will want their niger seeds.

    ReplyDelete