Exploring Fabius Township and St. Joseph County, Michigan, with side trips all over this Great Lakes state

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

ah, the colors of summer eating

The colors are as scrumptious as the concoctions you can create with this summer cornucopia!  There are tomatoes (from our garden) and summer squashes from our CSA*  farmer Dale, and limes (from the grocery but essential to the quintessential summer cooler, gin and tonic.  Must keep the quinine coming to prevent malaria in Michigan!).
*Explore more about CSA at  Community Supported Agriculture.
 
Discovered on my tour of C words this week that my photographic composition contains more C's than I even knew:  a zucchini is also called a courgette.   According to Wikipedia, "Zucchini is the more common name in North America, Australia, Germany and Italy (zucchina/e), while courgette is more commonly used in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Portugal and South Africa."  And the scientific name for the summer squashes is Cucurbita pepo.

On the wall behind my stilllife is a print by Ruth Conklin of Sleeping Bear Bay, one of our favorite camping sites in the lower peninsula of Michigan.

Get crazy with more C words at ABC Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. C looks tasty and refreshing. Lovely colours of summer here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Choice for C today is making my stomach juices go Crazy. Very Colorful and Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding still life composition. Fresh fruits and veggies...nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edible still life ~ my favorite kind! Those tomatoes keep looking better all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful, looks like a still life painting.

    Healthy too......

    ReplyDelete
  6. great colors, and I didn't know those alt names! ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our tomatoes around the bay are still green because the weather has been so cool. Yours look ready and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I firmly believe in fighting malaria every chance I get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this still life. The colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they look so good--making me HUNGRY!

    Our tomatoes still are NOT ripe. They are getting there, and we are getting lots of squash and okra.

    Do you have a picture of that store you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, we do call zucchini 'courgettes' here! I love your summer cornucopia and I do agree that summer veg colours are very enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! I love the summer colors!

    ReplyDelete